As part of our efforts to conduct our business in an ethically responsible manner, we have for the last two years nominated a specific charity to be our ‘charity of the year’. In 2019, we chose the Northampton Hope Centre; for 2020 we will be working with Magic Breakfast to bring nutritional breakfasts to tens of thousands of children across the UK. We are very proud to be working with an organisation whose values are aligned so closely with our own and which is providing invaluable support to children across the UK.
In the UK, 1.8 million children are at risk of starting the school day too hungry to learn. Hunger has a huge impact on access to education with children missing out on early morning learning. Independent research has found that year 2 pupils who benefit from breakfast in the morning boost their reading, writing and maths skills by an average of 2 months’ progress per year.
It costs just 30p to provide a child with Magic Breakfast, plus wrap around support, so we’re keen to help as much as we can. We raised over £1,000 for the Hope Centre last year and aim to beat that this year.
Our first event in February, a Crick Software breakfast club, was a great success and raised £100 between our UK and US teams pitching in. We’ll be releasing more information about what we’re doing on our social media pages nearer the time, but here’s a quick breakdown of what you can expect:
- In April we’ll be hosting an Easter themed quiz and scavenger hunt for our staff
- To celebrate UEFA 2020 kicking off (pardon the pun), we’ll be organising an office sweepstakes in June
- We’ll also be organising themed events nearer to VE day, Halloween and Christmas, so keep an eye on our social media profiles for those!
Magic Breakfast suggest their own fundraising ideas too:
- Live below the line challenge: for one working week, live on just a £5 food allowance. Several members of our team have agreed to try this challenge; give it a go yourself, too
- Sponsored activities like runs and skydiving
We’re very excited to be working with Magic Breakfast this year. If you want to find out more about what they do, please visit their website.