DocsPlus Universal for Windows / Mac
For subscriptions purchased after November 2020.
You'd like to share your DocsPlus files between devices or send them to other people.
Error: "Recording failed: Cannot record a sound"
You receive this error message when trying to use the Sound Recorder.
This is usually caused by the Xiph.Org Open Codecs codec pack, which is automatically included with our software.
To resolve the problem:
- Log into Windows as an administrator.
- Open the Windows Start menu, start typing add or remove programs and click the result when it appears.
- Select Xiph.Org Open Codecs... and click Uninstall.
- Download and run the installer below.
- Restart the computer.
For IT Professionals
If multiple computers are affected, it's possible to silently reinstall the codec pack via command line.
We recommend saving the following commands into a batch file, and then creating a Scheduled Task that runs it once at boot (or logon) with Administrator privileges. The task can be removed after all the computers have been fixed.
Please note: the letter "S" below must be uppercase!Silent Uninstall:
if exist "%programfiles%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" (
"%programfiles%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" /S
) else (
if exist "%programfiles(x86)%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" (
"%programfiles(x86)%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" /S
Xiph.Org Open Codecs
- November 2, 2017
- Last revised
- December 16, 2019
- Applies to
- Clicker 7
- DocsPlus for Windows / Mac
- DocsPlus Universal for Windows / Mac
To download DocsPlus and manage your subscription:
- Sign in using your email address or Google account.
(If you don't have a password click Forgotten your password?)
- Under the product you want to manage, click View.
The installation instructions and product download will be displayed.