Crick Software is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
This policy ensures Crick Software:
- Complies with the data protection law
- Follows good practice
- Protects the rights of staff, customers and suppliers
- Is open about how it stores and processes data
- Protects itself from the risks of a data breach
Crick Software may change this policy by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy incorporates changes due to the General Data Protection Regulations (EU GDPR) 2018 and the UK GDPR 2021. These regulations give companies six lawful reasons for processing your data. These are:
- Legal obligation
- Vital interest
- Public task
- Legitimate interest
What we do with the information we gather
- On our website, we may ask for first name, last name, company name, email address, country, state, partner information, phone number
- We may also collect the following information from customers when they register for the Service; company and customer contact information including names, email address, industry, geographic region, website address and postal address
Additionally, we may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including, email address, website address, and phone number
- Demographic information such as geographic region, postal address post code, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service. We are processing this data through “legitimate interest” when:
- Collecting your details through forms on our website
- Updating or adding your details to our customer database
- Using the information to improve our products and services
- Sending promotional emails to educators about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address that you have provided; we do not send these to student email addresses
- Using your information to contact you for market research purposes
- Using the information to customize our websites according to educators’ interests
Automated processing of data
- We automatically collect certain information to track visitor activity on our websites. We use this information to improve the content of our sites as well as to provide visitors with a more relevant overall experience with our organization and our site. This information may include information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, including; name, title, company name, job function, expertise, postal address, telephone number, or email address. We may also collect other information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual such as browser and device information, information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies, and demographic information. We never share this information or information you provide us with third parties except to the extent necessary to provide our service.
- If you fill out a web form on our site, your information will be stored in our CRM system and some of your past browsing on our site may be available to us to determine your interests. We may use this information to more effectively engage with you and improve our site. However, if you use private browsing as described below, you may provide us your information without making your past browsing activity available to us. If you do not wish for us to have your personal information, please do not fill out any of the web forms on this site.
- If you provide your email address we will process your data as “legitimate interest.” If we contact you, some information is collected about when/if the email was opened and what links were clicked. This information is used to assess the engagement and success of an email campaign.
- Clicking on a link in any of these emails may cause you to be personally identified on our site and may cause some part of your past browsing history on our site to be available to us so we may more effectively engage with you and improve our site. If you do not wish for this tracking to occur, you can unsubscribe from our mailings or use private browsing mode to avoid tracking.
- We never use visitor identification techniques that involve sharing information you provide us with other sites or vice versa. We never store any information in your computer’s Flash local shared objects area (i.e., we never use what is known as ‘flash cookies’).
Software and apps
We do not collect data in any of our products. Our applications are installed onto client computers and users’ work is saved locally, except in network installation where it is saved to a shared folder on your server. You will specify the shared
folder during the installation process.
The iPad apps are downloaded via the Apple app store and all information about who the app belongs to is linked to your Apple ID and is held by Apple. Our apps do not collect or share information.
For information regarding the data collected when using the Chromebook apps please click on the button below.
The Chromebook apps use your Google ID and Google domain to install. We collect your Google email address as your unique identifier. This address is used to determine the status of your current license.
Students and personally identifiable information
The only student information that we store is the student’s email address and basic profile info. This is required to confirm that they are a licensed user.
Applications that integrate with a Chrome or a Google account must declare their intent by requesting permissions. These permissions to your browser and account must be granted in order to integrate with Chrome and Google accounts. Below is a list of these permissions and why they are required. At no time will Crick Software request or have access to your Google account password.
- Send email on your behalf (allows the app to send an email when the option is selected by the user)
- Google Drive
- View and manage the file in your Google Drive (allows the user to manage their Google Drive files from within the app)
- Basic account info
- View your email address (used to identify the user for licensing the app)
- View your basic profile info (user’s name)
- Device Camera (allows the app to use the camera when the option is selected by the user)
You can revoke these permissions at any time on your Google Account Permissions page, however if you do this, the Crick Chromebook apps will cease to work.
Crick Software employees will only access content on our servers to manage licensing for the Chromebook apps. The customer information visible to Crick Software employees is:
- School/organization details
- Users’ email addresses and basic profile info
- Date when users started using the service
- Date when users last used the app
- Log of licensing requests (includes timestamp and a device identifier)
This information is used and displayed in http://apps.cricksoft.com to make it simpler for a school to manage their subscriptions and decide which users to add or remove.
We will delete your email address and basic profile info after 2 years of not using our service.
Disclosing your information
We do not scan any content. Our systems are not designed to associate personal information with your activities.
Personal information protection
Our sites have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. These measures include the use of secure servers to collect the information, encrypted databases, storage of the information in non-public areas of the servers, and other measures as deemed reasonable and necessary. In addition, once a subscription has expired for more than 24 months, the student personal information is deleted from our records.
Access to Student Personal Information
The only student information that we store is the student’s email address and basic profile info. This is required to confirm that they are a licensed user. If you would like to see what information we hold for you, a student or your child with a live subscription to our apps, email Chrome@cricksoft.com. We will first need to check that we have enough information to be sure of your identity. If we have any reason to doubt your identity, we will request official confirmation.
We will respond to you within 30 calendar days to provide you with the information. There will be no charge for complying with an access request for student personal information.
Once a subscription has expired for more than 24 months, the student personal information is deleted from our records.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Personal information protection
We take reasonable steps to secure your personally identifiable information against unauthorized access or disclosure. We encrypt the transmission of data on pages where you are required to provide payment information. However, it’s important to note that no security or encryption method can be guaranteed to protect information from hackers or human error. Information we collect may be stored or processed on computers located in any country where we do business.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- If you receive information from us that is not of interest to you, you can easily unsubscribe by clicking on the link in the email. We will remove your details from our email list and will not send you information until or unless you ask us to do
- We will not sell, distribute, or lease educators’ personal information to third parties unless we have their permission or are required by law. We will never sell, distribute or lease student information.
Data subject rights
As someone we hold data about, you are a Crick Software “Data Subject.” You have the right to object about the processing of data and the right to be forgotten. You can do this by accessing the data that we hold about you under the EU GDPR and UK GDPR legislation. This is a Subject Access Request.
Subject Access Request (SAR)
To request details on the information we hold about you, please write to Crick Software Ltd, Crick House, Boarden Close, Moulton Park, Northampton NN3 6LF or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We will first check that we have enough information to be sure of your identity. If we have any reason to doubt your identity, we will request official confirmation.
If you are a relative/representative of the individual concerned, then you must supply the individual’s consent for the release of their personal data.
We will respond to you within 30 calendar days to provide you with the information. There will be no charge for complying with an SAR unless the request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’. If a request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ a fee can be charged, or we can refuse to respond.
Rights to erasure
Under the EU GDPR and UK GDPR regulations you have the right to erasure. Where possible and practicable we will ensure that data is removed, and no new data is collected or stored. However, the right to erasure does not provide an absolute right to be
forgotten and we can refuse to comply with a request for any of the following reasons:
- To exercise the right of freedom of expression and information
- To comply with a legal obligation or for the performance of a public interest task or exercise of official authority
- Archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific research, historical research or statistical purposes
- The exercise or defense of legal claims
Errors in our records
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. If we agree that the information is inaccurate, we will correct it and where practicable, destroy the inaccurate information. We will consider informing any relevant third party of the correction. If we do not agree or feel unable to decide whether the information is inaccurate, we will make a note of the alleged error and keep this on file.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer. The cookies help us analyze web traffic and remember information about your preferences in our web shop.
This Cookie is placed by Facebook. It enables Crick Software to measure, optimize and build audiences for advertising campaigns served on Facebook. In particular it enables Crick Software to see how our users move between devices when accessing the Crick Software website and Facebook and to analyze which content a user has viewed and interacted with on our website. For further information about the Facebook Pixel please see: https://en-gb.facebook.com/business/help/651294705016616
Links to other websites
Our websites may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide while visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement.
If Crick Software were to contract with future companies, we have a commitment to only do so with those that are consistent with our principles and policies including successor entities.
Crick Software may change this policy for teachers and educators from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page periodically to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
For Student PII; if a change is made this will be flagged up in the new policy and terms and conditions, which they will have to consent to.