Using a Tobii device on Windows
You would like to control Clicker / DocsPlus using a Tobii Eye Gaze device.
Clicker / DocsPlus is designed for universal access and includes a conventional Eye Gaze feature to improve accessibility for users of eye tracking technology. When the mouse pointer hovers over a target, a click occurs after a short delay (indicated by a shrinking red circle).
To set this, click Access (or Accessibility) in the Options tab. On the Access Method tab, choose Eye Gaze / Mouse Dwell.
Over the years, Tobii has designed innovative software to complement their eye tracking hardware, with each subsequent generation making things more comfortable and easier to use.
Typically, your hardware will come packaged with one of these four programs. It may be possible to download a newer one if your hardware model is still supported. From oldest to newest:
- Tobii Gaze Interaction Software (TGIS) - for old devices. Incorporates first-generation versions of Gaze Point and Windows Control below.
- Gaze Point - uses the conventional method of moving the mouse pointer to follow your gaze. A click is initiated by dwelling over a target for a short time.
- Windows Control - uses a unique control method that aims to eliminate accidental clicking by dividing the process into two deliberate steps. Look at the sidebar to choose an action (e.g. click, double-click, drag, scroll), and then look at your target. When your gaze settles over the target area, a zooming overlay appears to guide you towards the precise location.
- TD Control - an evolved form of Windows Control, with two key differences:
- You now select your target before the action.
- Actions appear around the target, so they're easier to reach.
What do I have?
To determine which software you have installed, click the Windows Start button, (Windows 11 only) click All apps, and then look for a folder beginning with Tobii.
Alternatively, click the Windows Start button and start typing a program named above to see if it appears.
Unfortunately, the Eye Gaze / Mouse Dwell feature in our software isn't suitable for use with TD Control, Windows Control, or TGIS when set to Gaze Interaction mode.
Under these conditions, the pointer remains stationary until a click occurs, at which point it "teleports" to the clicked location. Our software detects the mouse movement and starts its dwell timer, resulting in an unwanted second click at the same location.
Therefore, we recommend leaving this feature disabled:
- In Clicker 8 / DocsPlus, set the Access Method to Off.
- In Clicker 7, set the Access Method to Mouse / Touch.
If your Tobii Eye Gaze isn't working with Clicker / DocsPlus , please contact Tobii for support, as they're best equipped to help you.
- November 10th, 2017
- Last revised
- December 16th, 2019
- Applies to
- Clicker 7
- Clicker 8 for Windows / Mac
- DocsPlus for Windows / Mac
- DocsPlus Universal for Windows / Mac