Retired Apps for iPad
Clicker Sentences / Clicker Connect / Clicker Docs
Retired in November 2020.
How do I set up switch access on iPad?
You would like to control our iPad apps with switches.
Our apps are designed to work with Switch Control (the iPad’s built-in switch access feature).
The official Apple documentation is here: support.apple.com/HT201370
Switch Control offers many settings. It can be daunting for first time users, so here's some advice to get started!
Set up Switch Control
- Open the iPad’s Settings app and tap Accessibility in the left pane.
(or tap General in the left pane and then Accessibility on the right)
- Tap Accessibility Shortcut (bottom) and select Switch Control.
This will let you turn Switch Control on / off by triple-clicking the Home button.
We recommend deselecting all other items (at least for now).
- Tap < Accessibility to go back. Now tap Switch Control.
But don't turn Switch Control on yet!
- Tap Switches and then Add New Switch:
- To use the whole iPad screen as a switch, tap Screen, and then Full Screen. Set the action to Tap.
- To add an external switch, tap External, and then press your switch. Set the action to Tap.
- For two-switch scanning, add a second switch and set its action to Move to Next Item.
Switch Control is now ready. Whenever you wish to turn it on / off, triple-click the Home button.
Switch Control settings
You may want to adjust these settings in Accessibility > Switch Control:
- Increase the scan visibility
Turn on Large Cursor to increase the thickness of the scan highlight.
To make the scan a more distinctive colour, tap Cursor Colour.
- One-switch scanning
Tap Scanning Style and turn on Auto Scanning.
To set how long the scan pauses on each item, go back and then tap Auto Scanning Time.
- Group items
Items are initially scanned in groups. Select a group to scan the items within it.
For a simple scan that scans every item individually, turn this off.
- Auditory scanning
To speak items when scanning, tap Speech.
You can set the voice and the speaking rate.
Some other settings:
- Pause on First Item: the duration the scan pauses on the first item before starting.
- Loops: the number of times that items are scanned before the scan stops.
- Sound Effects: an auditory cue plays when the scan moves.
- Hold Duration: how long a switch must remain pressed until it registers (may not work with all switches).
- Ignore Repeat: the duration in which subsequent presses are ignored (may not work with all switches).
Remove the top message
When using a Full Screen switch, a black bar explaining how to stop Switch Control appears at the top of the screen.
If it obscures something important, change these settings:
- In Accessibility > Switch Control, tap Switches, tap Full Screen and change its action from Tap to Select Item.
- In Accessibility > Switch Control, tap Included Menu Items and deselect all items.
- November 21, 2017
- Last revised
- December 19, 2019
- Applies to
- Clicker Books for iPad
- Clicker Communicator for iPad
- Clicker Connect for iPad
- Clicker Docs for iPad
- Clicker Sentences for iPad
- Clicker Talk for iPad
- Clicker Writer for iPad
- DocsPlus for iPad
- DocsPlus Universal for iPad