DocsPlus for Windows / Mac
For licenses purchased before November 2020.
Error: "Recording failed: Cannot record a sound"
You receive this error message when trying to use the Sound Recorder.
This is usually caused by the Xiph.Org Open Codecs codec pack, which is automatically included with our software.
To resolve the problem:
- Log into Windows as an administrator.
- Open the Windows Start menu, start typing add or remove programs and click the result when it appears.
- Select Xiph.Org Open Codecs... and click Uninstall.
- Download and run the installer below.
- Restart the computer.
For IT Professionals
If multiple computers are affected, it's possible to silently reinstall the codec pack via command line.
We recommend saving the following commands into a batch file, and then creating a Scheduled Task that runs it once at boot (or logon) with Administrator privileges. The task can be removed after all the computers have been fixed.
Please note: the letter "S" below must be uppercase!Silent Uninstall:
if exist "%programfiles%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" (
"%programfiles%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" /S
) else (
if exist "%programfiles(x86)%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" (
"%programfiles(x86)%\Xiph.Org\Open Codecs\uninst.exe" /S
Xiph.Org Open Codecs
- November 2nd, 2017
- Last revised
- December 16th, 2019
- Applies to
- Clicker 7
- DocsPlus for Windows / Mac
- DocsPlus Universal for Windows / Mac