Google Drive files appear dimmed out in My Files
After tapping My Files and selecting Google Drive in the left pane, your files appear but are dimmed out and won't open.
This is an issue with the Google Drive service itself.
There are many ways to upload a file to Google Drive. Depending on the method used, Google Drive may classify a Clicker / DocsPlus file as a different type. This causes the file to appear dimmed and unopenable in our apps.
We've updated our software to reduce the chances of this happening. However, older files may still be affected.
To open a file that appears dimmed out in My Files, use the Google Drive app instead:
- Go to your iPad's Home Screen and open the Google Drive app.
- Browse to your file.
- Tap the 3-dot icon in the top-right corner and choose Open in.
- When the iPad sharing popover appears, choose the relevant app from the list.
If you encounter this issue with Clicker Communicator, the workaround is different:
- Go to your iPad's Home Screen and open the Apple Files app.
- In the left sidebar, under Locations, tap Google Drive.
- Find the desired file and tap it.
- Tap the Share (box with up arrow) icon in the top-right corner.
- When the iPad sharing popover appears, choose Communicator from the list.
For IT Professionals
Files uploaded by Google Drive for Desktop (formally Drive File Stream) aren't affected by this issue.
Therefore, if you're not already using it, consider using Google Drive for Desktop as a sync solution within your organisation.
To learn more, see:
- 21st August 2020
- Last revised
- 11th April 2022
- Applies to
- Clicker Writer for iPad
- DocsPlus for iPad
- DocsPlus Universal for iPad